HOA BOARD OF DIRECTORS CONSULTING
It’s not always easy serving as an HOA board member. There are governing laws, CC&Rs, rules & regulations, and policies to interpret, not to mention homeowner personalities and agendas, vendors, and management that you need to balance.
Homeowners’ associations are ever-changing – new legislation, newly elected board members, and new common area annexation – to name just a few. Because of this, it’s imperative to stay apprised of details in this vacillating world.
With over 30 years’ industry experience, the leadership of Next Step Consulting is uniquely qualified to provide ongoing education to your board, tailoring the training to your unique community. Some of the topics we cover:
• Legislation as it relates to HOAs and legal updates
• How to read your financial documents
• Reserves Studies
• Year-end audits
• Delinquencies and collections
• How to conduct an effective board meeting
• Contractor selection and the bidding process
• Developer to resident board transition
• Succession planning
Congratulations! You’ve been elected to your HOA Board of Directors. Now what??
Being an HOA board member can be a rewarding experience. It can also be overwhelming if you don’t know what you’ve volunteered for. It’s crucial that members of the board understand their roles and responsibilities, along with those of management.
Next Step Consulting’s board orientation sessions are designed to support new board members and as a refresher for the seasoned member. We’ll review the following:
• Board commitment and authority
• Governing document overview
• Fiduciary responsibility and the Business Judgement Rule
• Legal responsibility
• Financial and operational duties
• What is consensus and “one voice”?
• Policy governance
• Board culture
• Conflict of Interest
• Corporate responsibility
• Management’s role
• How to conduct a board meeting
BOARD STRATEGIC PLANNING
A strategic plan identifies goals and establishes objectives that help guide the board. A cohesive strategy gives the board direction, allows you to anticipate expenses, aids in project prioritization and gives you the opportunity to be proactive in scheduling.
Next Step Consulting is a neutral facilitator for your strategy planning, driving the process as you determine what the boards’ focus should be for the immediate future, short-term and long-term.
We will establish:
• Defined vision and mission
• Consensus on prioritization
• Role of the reserve study in implementation
• Schedules to monitor, review and adjust the plan periodically